If you are looking for the Best Lawn Mower, there will be wide range of options available for you. However you need to make your decision based on some factors in order to select the one good feasible fit for you.
There are many trusted brands and models available that can keep your lawn green, healthy and neat looking. Before beginning your search for your perfect mower, take some time and go through the best lawn mower reviews of various types of machines.
This page here is detailed to give you comprehensive knowledge of the best lawn mowers in the market.
Reading through this page will give insight on which type of lawn mower would suit you and what are the highlighted features that would set your lawn tool buying criteria.
What is Lawn Mower?
In the old days, sheep or other animals were used to keep in the yard or lawn to trim the garden yard. The animals were used to eat the grass.
However, in today’s time with the technological advancement, companies have manufactured a machine with rotating blades is used for cutting grass of garden lawns. These machines are called lawn mowers. These Lawn Mowers can be manual (hand-operated) or Automatic (motor-driven).
Some Lawn mower blades may be push forward and some may cut the grass to an even height with spinning of blades.
All the lawn mowers have some what similar structure which includes a motor, rotating blade(s), moving around options and grass clippings dispenser. While searching for a lawn mower, please make sure that paying a high price here wouldn’t really mean higher quality results.
There are different factors to consider when buying a best lawn mower for your garden.
Types of Lawn Mowers
Many of the landlords, they consider factors like brand, features and price when looking for a lawn mower to buy. But, the most important thing to consider is the type of lawn mower you need to have for your land.
The type of mower you wish to buy will be your first factor to narrow down the list of mowers. The decision should be based on your requirements, property size and budget.
1. Walk-behind or Push Lawn Mowers
Gas Powered Lawn Mowers: The gas powered lawn mowers are most suitable for mowing larger areas. If you have a lawn or yard up to 1/2 acre of area, then the gas powered are ideal machines. Different models of gas powered mowers have different engine power but they are usually high powered. 190cc engine runs efficiently through toughest areas as well. Some of these also have self-propelling feature.
These machines can cut wider path and thick grass on uneven surfaces as well. Most of them have 3-in-1 feature including rear bagging, mulching and side discharge. These fuel powered mowers require periodic maintenance. These age the best lawn mower for small yard.
Electric Lawn Mowers: The electrical powered mowers are suitable for land under 1/3 acres. They offer similar features to that of gas powered mowers including 3-in-1 feature, push or self-propel, wide cutting etc. but they save you fuel and maintenance cost.
Moreover they have relatively quieter operation. These machines are environment-friendly with no carbon emissions. There are corded and cordless electrical mowers available and usually have a motor power between 6-12 amp. Cordless mowers operate on battery giving you ease of mowing around. These are most suitable for flat surfaces.
Manual Reel Lawn Mowers: Manual Reel mowers are basic type of mowers. These include curved blades that are used to cut grass by rotation and pushing. They do not have many options and are suitable for flat land under 1/4 acres. The tools are simple to use and do not make noise. Low maintenance is required and these mowers are economical and eco – friendly.
2. Riding Lawn Mowers
As opposed to walk-behind lawn mowers, the riding lawn mowers have a seat to ride on for mowing. It includes various controls that enable you to mow your lawn while being seated on this mower. These are suitable for larger lawns and are often termed as small farm tractor. These machines have powerful engines and cutting decks as compared to push mowers. Cutting deck is located usually between the axles horizontally while seat may be behind the deck or above it.
3. Other Types
Zero Turning Radius Lawn Mower: These lawn tools enable easy mowing through limited spaces. They have zero turning radii and are relatively larger in size and expensive in price.
Tractor Lawn Mower: More multipurpose than ride-on mowers, these mowers are constructed as small tractors. You can easily add carts with this mower type. These are more expensive ones.
Robotic Lawn Mower: These are small robots that are designed to do mowing job for your land automatically. When their battery goes down, they automatically go to their loading station. They are really expensive. They do not make noise and are eco-friendly.
Hover Mowers: These are floating type of mowers hovering above the ground. The hover mowers do not have wheels and are appointed with motorized rotating blade. Most suitable for slopes and hills where other mowers would be dangerous to use.
Top 5 Best Lawn Mower available today
Given below are short reviews of our recommended top 5 best lawn mower.
1. GreenWorks 25302 Twin Force G-MAX
The GreenWorks 25302 Twin Force G-MAX is a dual motor Lithium-Ion lawn mower with twin blades and a cutting width of 20 inches. This mower offers mulching and rear bagging. The product includes a mulch plug and a bag collector.
The twin blades each of 10 inches are sharp enough to give you tidy clippings and cuts. It gives 5 height adjustment positions ranging from 1.375 to 3.375 inches. It has large rear wheels 10 inches each that makes maneuvering easier.
The machine is light weight of 42.5 pounds. This lawn tool is nature-friendly with no emissions. No maintenance required and it is easy to use lawn mowing machine. GreenWorks gives a warranty of 4 years for this machine. Read the full Review of GreenWorks 25302 Twin Force G-MAX
2. GreenWorks 25022
The GreenWorks 25022 lawn mower operates with a 12 Amp electrical motor and a cutting deck 20 inches wide. This product is powerful and offers efficient cutting of lawn. It offers three functions including rear bagging, side-discharge and mulching.
The machine includes a mulching plug and bag collector. The lawn mower gives 7 different height adjustment points from 1.5 to 3.75 inches. Weight of it is 59 pounds which is light and compact as compared to other mowers. This is one of the best lawn mowers
Machine is easy to operate, clean and store. This mower is offered with a warranty of 4 years. The model 25022 is environment friendly. Read the full Review of GreenWorks 25022
3. Fiskars 18 Inch StaySharp Max Reel Mower (6201)
The Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower(6201) is appointed with latest InertiaDrive technology along with StaySharp cutting system that enables powerful and efficient cutting. This mower is said to have 60% easier pushing as compared to other mowers.
The cutting deck is 18 inches wide and the reel manual push power makes cutting possible on uneven terrains. You can adjust cutting height of your lawn from 1 to 4 inches with this product. You can get 9 different positions between these ranges.
Weight of the machine is 51.7 pounds and warranty is of 3 years. Assembly and storage is quick and easy. This Fiskars 6201 lawn mower includes a grass collector where all the clippings are collected. Fiskars offers a 3 years warranty for this tool. Read the full Review of Fiskars 18 Inch StaySharp Max Reel Mower(6201)
4. Black & Decker SPCM1936
The Black & Decker SPCM1936 is a cordless electrical lawn mower with 36 volts removable battery. The machine has a self-propelling one push start up system. This mower has a lifetime warranty of deck which is made of polymer and is 19 inches wide.
The product offers a cutting height adjustment from 1.5 to 3.5 inches. Weight of the machine is 92 pounds. It includes rear bagging and a security key. The lawn mower is environment friendly and doesn’t pollute air with harmful emissions. It is easy to use and store. Read the full Review of Black & Decker SPCM1936
5. Husqvarna 7021P
The Husqvarna 7021P gas powered lawn mower is appointed with a powerful Honda 160cc GVC160 engine. You can enjoy improved lawn mowing through this machine with a cutting deck 21 inches wide. The cutting deck is made up of steel and with its width you can cover large pieces of land in one go.
This mower also offers all the 3 mowing functions including rear bagging, mulching and side discharge. It has 6 different height adjustment increments with 4 points ranging from 1.5 to 3.5 inches. 12 inches wide rear wheels makes maneuvering easier through uneven surfaces as well. Weight of the tool is 55 pounds and the product is offered with 2 years of warranty. Read the full Review of Husqvarna 7021P
How to find the Best Lawn Mower
Lawn mower is not something that you buy every other day and thus a keen eye on your varied options is required to choose the best suitable one for your mowing needs. Here we have outlined some of the important factors and features that one must consider before making a buying decision for a lawn mower.
There are many options available in market of gardening tools and thus to choose one is surely a confusing and difficult process. Let’s see our useful tips to find out the best lawn mowers.
1. Size of your lawn: This is the most important factor to consider as different types of lawn mowers remain suitable for different lawn sizes. If you have a relatively smaller lawn, then a manual or electric lawn mower would be suitable. With larger lawns, you would need a lawn mower with a powerful motor.
2. Type of lawn mower: Some yards are evenly slopped while others have slopes and are uneven. For even surfaces push lawn mowers would work however for hills and slopes, self-propelling lawn mower would be ideal. Riding lawn mowers would be recommendable for lawns with area more than ½ acres. Another latest developmental option for small lawns is the robotic mower.
- Small sized lawns around 50 square meters would do well with a hand mower or an electric mower with around 30 cm width of cutting.lkkFor medium sized 150 square meters, electric lawn mower with around 40 cm cutting width
- would be suitable.
- For large lawns around 250 square meters, a fuel powered lawn mower would be ideal. Their cutting width begins from 40 cm.
- For larger lawns, more powerful push or self-propelling lawn mowers would be good.
3. Most Important Features: All different brands and types of lawn mowers come with varied set of features. Some important features to look out for when buying a best lawn mower include:
- Deck width and fabrication.
- Cutting height adjustment.
- Front wheels turning.
- Control of driving speed.
- Switching mode from side discharge to bagger.
- Starting system.
- Height adjustment.
- Safety options for blade and brakes.
4. Additional Features:
- Weight of machine.
- Compact and easy to store machine.
- Mower with mulching feature that gives back grass pieces to your lawn and it works as a natural fertilizer. You would be at ease and wouldn’t need to pick up these clippings from your lawn.
- Grass collector (bigger capacity collector would need to be emptied less often during mowing process).
- Rear rolling option that gives you clean finished lawn mowing.
- Packed cables with corded mowers for easy handling.
5. Choosing a particular brand: When you are buying a lawn mower, brand is not a really important factor to consider before buying. However as you are spending good money on this product, you must think about your lawn mower servicing, replacement, repair or any other assistance that you may require with your product.
6. Warranty of lawn mower: You must always go through warranties and return policies when buying a lawn mower. Warranties determine how durable the product is? If your lawn mower doesn’t work well or if it is not what it appeared to be, you would be able to claim replacement, warranty or can get it repaired.
7. Set your budget: You will find varied price ranges for different types of lawn mowers thus setting a budget or price range is important. You will find cheap lawn mowers as well as expensive ones but it would be possible for you to find one suitable for your budget (provided budget is set realistically).
8. Choose easy to use mower: Your lawn mower should be easy to move around. Its operation should be simple. Some tips to track user-friendliness of a lawn mower include:
Lawn mower handle height should be adjustable.
Hand grip should be comfortable (padded).
Lawn mower should be light weight and easy to carry especially if you have steps to cross through your lawn.
Going through lawn mower reviews you will find that all efficient lawn mowers deliver:
- Clean and tidy trimmed lawn with neat cut of grass and weeds at an adjusted height.
- Most of the top lawn mowers reviews reveal that they have mulching, rear bagging and side discharge feature.
- Large wheels and a balanced control of lawn mower make lawn mowing easier and faster.
- A good lawn mower should give at least 2 years of warranty. Many of them also include a lifetime deck warranty. Quality and reliability is important.
- It would also include safety keys and blade brakes to prevent any accident. Some would also include overriding feature enabling blade turn off while engine keeps running.
- Gas powered lawn mowers make noise however electric powered mowers are quieter. Quietest of all are the manual reel lawn mowers. With manual lawn mowers, your neighbors would never be disturbed.
A lawn mower will be your companion for a long way and thus buying decision of this companion may be difficult at times. Hopefully all the information provided here along with some lawn mower reviews would give you ease of deciding the best lawn mower for your lawn. Carry out a brief preliminary check for all the features and factors and you will surely end up making a good decision.